Menu

bi-directional scan tools?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk bi-directional scan tools?

• Creator
    Topic
    sam priemsam priem
    Participant

recently ive been looking for a good bi-directional scan tool. i have a spending limit of about $500. i’ve heard about the mt2500 but i know its obsolete. is that a decent bi-directional scan tool? i was also looking at a snap on ethos but im not sure if thats a bi-directional tool. a used ethos is in my price range, seems like a good tool and as far as i know it isnt obsolete but its gotta be a pretty impressive tool if im gonna pay that much for one. is it worth buing without the bi-directional feature?. i also know about the OTC genisys but that way out of my range. im not a full professional but i do auto repair out of my garag on a daily basis so i dont need anything really fancy but something i can rely on thats got all the features to let me do what i need to do. ive also been looking at the autoxray 7000. but i see a few bad reviews on it. and aparently its obsolete too. anybody have experiance with this tool? im not limited to handheld devices. i have a rolling laptop cart so computer programs with bi-directional features (if they exist) are possibilities. any other scan tools that are good but not stupid expensive?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
      Participant

I use a Snap On MT2500 and it is a fantastic tool for vehicles through 2008. Snap On quit support for newer vehicles for it to bring out the newer more expensive models but the MT2500 is not obsolete for the vehicles it was made to diagnose. And compared to what they originally sold for are now a bargain for about $300. + – My newest vehicle is a 1998 ant the MT2500 has coverage for all my vehicles

sam priemsam priem
        Participant

i thought they stopped supporting it in 2006. now that i know its 2008, im leaning more towards that especialy for the price they are going for right now but can i still buy cartriges and keys for specific vehicles? if so, where can i get them? i found an mt2500 on craigslist for cheap. its got 2 domestic cartriges and 2 asian import cartriges but only a few keys. also, is there any difference between the mt2500 and the mtg2500 other than graphing capability (ie: does it use the same cartriges, keys, years covered…)?

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
          Participant

Only difference between the 2 is that MTG2500 will do the graphing. They both use the same accessories as far as I know. You may still be able to get the keys from Snap On but eBay has accessories for these but watch out prices vary widely and I’ve had a couple problems with some of the stuff I’ve purchased there. Items that were supposed to be included and weren’t Items that didn’t work and I had to repair to get them working. With a purchase like an MT2500 I’ve got lots of accessories I haven’t even used yet because I don’t have those vehicles to test them on. If you want to send me a land line number I can call you and explain a little more about it. Contact info is in my signature below. I can receive text at the number listed also.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…