Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Most cost effective way to break this axle nut?

Most cost effective way to break this axle nut?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Most cost effective way to break this axle nut?

• Creator
    Topic
    VioletViolet
    Participant

To preface I’m a DIYer, trying to learn and save money where possible.

I have a 1998 Corolla and I’m trying to take the drive axles off for a clutch job, but the passenger side axle nut is crazy stuck. I broke my partner’s Ace hardware 1/2in drive breaker-bar (at the drive) trying to get it off. This after going over the nut with a penetrating oil, a propane torch, and candle wax to try and get it to loosened. Now I’m trying to figure out what my best bet is regarding tools to break this thing.

I was thinking about buying an impact wrench. However I only have a 8 gallon, 115 psi, 5 cfm compressor, and I’m not sure if that would be sufficient to run an air tool powerful enough to handle this.

My other thought was to get a 1in drive breaker-bar and appropriate 30mm socket then try again with the brute force method.

My fall back plan is to try and cut it off with a dremel, but I’m pretty sure I’d end up damaging the axle. Has anyone tried this, and if so what bit did you use?

I would appreciate any input you might have.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      IanIan
      Participant

You MIGHT be able to run a pneumatic rattle gun off your compressor if you give it all she’ll suffer, use good line, and keep the distance as short as possible… I was looking at the specs on some of Horror Freight’s higher end 1/2″ guns (I have one I use at work, and it’s not too too terrible.) and they’re both rated at 6 CFM at 90 PSI. But, if my junkyard fuel injector science is correct, as the pressure increases, so does flow. Another possibility might be a cordless or 120V plug-in rattle gun.

VioletViolet
        Participant

Thanks very much for the reply.

I guess part of the issue is that I have no clue how much torque I’ll actually need to get this thing off. I’d get a 120v Impact if I was sure that it was up to the task, but I notice that most electric guns don’t advertise nearly as much max torque as the pneumatic guns. But then again the effectiveness of the pneumatic seems dependent on having a capable compressor.

Can anyone recommend a 120v impact you think is worthwhile?

Part of me feels like the heavy duty 1in breaker bar is the best option, as it ought to be able to deliver higher amounts of torque. (Though infrequently.) Do the repeated right-angle strikes of the impact wrench really make that much of a difference? What if I put an impact socket on a heavy breaker bar?

Thanks again

IanIan
          Participant

Yeah, the repetititve hammer strikes of an impact gun really do make a difference… Giving any sort of stubborn fasteners a few tappy-tap-taps with a hammer or the end of a wrench or whatever is a great way to loosen them up, as long as you don’t mess up the fastener.

Using an impact socket will make no difference unless you have an impact gun. Impact sockets are actually softer than “standard” chrome-steel sockets so they’re less likely to crack and blow up in your face under extended rattle-gun use. They’re also generally heavier than standard sockets to better transmit that hammering action (more mass moving around=more force.)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…