Menu

Oscilloscopes

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Oscilloscopes

• Creator
    Topic
    Austin HansenAustin Hansen
    Participant

Hi im a technician and going to school soon and am in the market for an oscilloscope. and have about 500 dollars to spend i’ve looked at the snap on vantage pro but i am still debating on if i want to finance 3000 dollars for it then aes wave has the uscope which is 400. the problem is i want something to store and record collected data. what are your opinions on the snap on vantage pro (the new one) is it worth it or is there anything cheaper?

Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

I think the Vantage is a decent scope but I would look into the Pico scope. Not sure about pricing though.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
        Participant

I just purchased a uscope. Not to bad for a single channel scope. I really want a Pico, but at this time can’t justify the price. So I use the little uscope until I have enough saved to buy a Pico 4000 4 channel and than I can use the uscope for field work.

The uscope can be found over at AESwave and runs about $400.00 plus another $30 if you want the adapters for using current clamps and BNC accessories. I bought the adapters as I already have a 200 Amp and 60 Amp current clamp.

Participant

Well i think i will go with a uscope im just trying to save the money to do so. i have seen the pico scope on scanner danner’s channel very nice scope just very expensive. right now im using an old eico scope from the sixties and have diagnosed several cars so far with it but still has limitations like no triggers at all. But will work for now.

Attachments:
            NoelNoel
            Participant

I have used the SnapOn scopes and presently use the 4 channel Verus that the shop has. However I’ve been looking at the Picoscopes as well and believe if you’re gonna finance anything, it makes sense to go with Pico. They even have an affordable 2 channel model, and if you already have a decent laptop then you’re already halfway there.

I eventually plan on getting a Picoscope 4 channel model and also the Autoenginuity scanner software and USB connector for the DLC. Autoenginuity also has a way of upgrading software for PCMs, plus it’s bidirectional. Just something to think about. Personally, I have started purchasing most tools on Tooltopia.com, I can’t afford SnapOn anymore.

Participant

hey guys the snap on dealer came by last Wednesday and he had an old snap on vantage he was selling for another person and i’ve made an offer for 150 the snap on man also let me keep it for a week and am impressed. it also comes with the kv module although it isn’t very good with reading spark. but i think this will get me by better than the pos above.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                Participant

[quote=”adhtech” post=76865]hey guys the snap on dealer came by last Wednesday and he had an old snap on vantage he was selling for another person and i’ve made an offer for 150 the snap on man also let me keep it for a week and am impressed. it also comes with the kv module although it isn’t very good with reading spark. but i think this will get me by better than the pos above.[/quote]

The Vantage is a sweet graphing multimeter (even graphs resistance which is a huge plus for checking potentiometer sensors) The vantage even has connector data stored in it if you have an late enough software version. The only thing that kinda suckjs is Snap-on is no longer supporting the Vantage and will no longer be issuing updates or doing repairs, but it’s a graphing multimeter take care of it and it should last as long as you want to keep it.

Rob megeeRob megee
                  Participant

Love the EICO scope, I thinking it’s about ready for the Smithsonian. If it works for you use it, if I remember correctly those only had about 10k of bandwidth. You are not going to see anything that is very fast but slow moving signals will show ok. Better than nothing.

stevensteven
                    Participant

The pico scope is a great scope to me its a little harder to use just because I don’t like dragging my lap top around im currently using a snap on modis. To me its the best bang for your buck I bought mine awhile ago for 3k only been used twice. Besides a little slow to boot at first its the best bang for your buck bi-directional scan tool/scope you can get

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…