Menu

Matco vs Snap-On scanners

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Matco vs Snap-On scanners

• Creator
    Topic
    NoelNoel
    Participant

I was recently loaned the new Matco Launch made tablet scanner (Maximus 2.0) AND the new Snap-On Solus Ultra.

I had both for a week and used them on various cars. They are both around $3300.
      The Matco Launch tablet is wireless, and has huge vehicle coverage. It’s not as fast as the Solus Ultra in regards to boot up time. Matco went from dead to ready to scan in 33 seconds, the Solus only took 12 seconds, and has instant response after that. They are both touch screen.

The Matco tablet is Android based, easy to navigate and comes with a wireless DLC. It has a web browser, and is wifi capable. You can download apps just like your cell phone. Comes with a free one year subscription to updates and like $900 per year after that, like Snap-On. Also comes with a 90 Day free trial of Identifix. I can tap on the trouble code, and it instantly brings me to either an online forum via google that describes that particular cars symptoms and codes, or go right to Idnetifix with the same results.
      It has a built in database for a “how to” on oil reset lights, brake reset, and steering angle sensor resets.
      Future features will be able to register multiple DLC’s that you can leave plugged into your customers cars and access info from them while they drive normally.It also has bi-directional control. At the tap of the power button, it goes into hibernation mode until you want to use it again and then it’s instantly up again.

The Snap-On is superfast, but that’s all it is. It’s a superfast code scanner. It is bi-directional, but has no gateway to repair info or a browser. It’s keyless, but not wireless. I loved the boot up time. It was ready to scan by the time I walked to the car. I loved that it auto detects and executes your commands instantly.But for the money, the Launch tablet from Matco is far superior.

I bought the Matco tablet at the end of the week trial. Apparently Launch makes “boxes” you can hook up in line with the tablet that allow you to use it like a scope and battery tester and printer. Did I mention it’s also wireless? lol.

If I didn’t cover everything or am wrong about something, please feel free to correct me or ask any questions.
      I take the tablet home with me and useit for other stuff too, such as Google hangouts, Slacker Radio and it’s calendar function.If my wife is on the laptop, I can watch my vids and movies on it. The huge screen makes it great for navigation and GPS functions too, I can’t stop talking about it lol.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

I’d say that Snap-On scanners pay for themselves….but it takes years. I think they are overpriced for what they are even though they are excellent machines. I’ve used the Ethos, Modis, Solus, Vantage Pro, and even tho old brick and I must say they are very very well made…just cost prohibitive. As far as Matco scanners go I cannot say I’ve used one therefore I cannot judge.

Pat61Pat61
        Participant

The Matco man told me I could mail in my broken tools. I told him that wasn’t the deal I made in 1979.
          This is my scanner.

Attachments:
          Gary BrownGary
          Participant

[quote=”Pat61″ post=111941]The Matco man told me I could mail in my broken tools. I told him that wasn’t the deal I made in 1979.
            This is my scanner.
            [/quote] Ah the Ethos… my only problem with the ethos is aside from being overpriced…it aint bidirectional. If I want to run a electronic power balance test or switch a purge solenoid on or off or somethin along those lines, I can’t do that with the ethos :angry:

zerozero
            Participant

The last place I worked had recently purchased a Autel MaxiSYS something something that sounds pretty similar. There were only 2 real deficiencies relative to the much more expensive Snap-On Verus. The data polling tended to be a bit slow and it would miss a signal quickly dropping out and it was lacking some of the 2-way functions you were referring to. It’s a safe bet that Android devices are the way it’s all going. Just don’t put anything on there you don’t need. Also Identifix is super awesome if you’ve never used it before. Well 90% of people who had this problem had a failure in X so I’ll check that first and it includes the factory service manuals like Mitchell. Not quite as pretty but the exact same information.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…