Do You Need an Automotive Education?

More
6 years 5 months ago #64671 by georgelv1999
Replied by georgelv1999 on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
Eric, first off, that's cool that you were at the top of your class. It is a great achievement.

See, to me although education is great, and of course it's beneficial in getting a job I don't think it's 100% necessary. Then I also think that automotive technicians are a breed apart from every other profession. How many people now-a-days have gone to college and graduated in a certain field and are actually working in that field. I have numerous friends and family that this is happening to them. One friend actually graduated in Marketing and still can't find a decent job. I guess that's why going to be an automotive technician is expensive.

Some people can't take a damn test, but will be able to dissect an engine in a heart beat and tell you exactly how everything works and what everything does. Would you hire that person knowing he couldn't pass the test but knows his stuff?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #64703 by USMC0331
Replied by USMC0331 on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
I agree on the value of getting an education, but I don't think it's always that easy.

Right now I work a fulltime job that has a crazy schedule. I can't make the hours for schooling work out for me because of my job. I have a wife, a mortgage and a kid on the way. My job might be going away soon, and so I've looking into being an auto tech.

I figured what the heck, e-mailed the owner of a local shop two miles from my house and told him I'm interested in apprenticing. We sat down yesterday and he hired me on to learn from him and work one day a week (on my day off). I'm still going to pursue my ASE certs, but I don't think actual schooling will be an option for me for a while.

I guess I'm trying to say that while I completely agree with the value of an education, it isn't always as easy as signing up for classes.

1987 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
2009 Toyota Corolla S

More
6 years 5 months ago #64721 by robinsonsauto
Replied by robinsonsauto on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
Just a little story i would like to share

The scene was a small roadside repair shop,ASE masters lined up on the wall; a young wrecker driver pulled up with a car on the hook, he joked with the mechanics as they walked out, man three times in one week I towed this same car, didn't they teach you how to fix cars in school? the owner replied yea this car has been a challenge I believe all my guys are stumped, they replaced all kinds of parts, it runs fine then out of nowhere just shuts off, and at times it will run fine for weeks
The driver said I know the feeling all too well I turned wrenches my whole life, we had to close up our shop last year, after talking for a short time the conversation turned back to the ASE’s on the wall, the owner of the shop understandably upset, said that paper means nothing they are costing me money I should just fire them all, the driver replied well I may not have much schooling all my training is hands on I guess you can call me home schooled, I have an expired masters and can count on my hands how many days I spent in school to achieve it, I just took the exams, and I must agree without hands on training and learning from other techs that have been in the field they don’t mean much but sure do look good on the wall, for the price of this tow job, double or nothing I bet I can fix that car for you

To make a long story short I was that driver, within in an hour I located, recreated the said symptoms and repaired a bad connection at the ECM, a loose pin that would intermittently shut off the fuel pump, using basic troubleshooting techniques, mostly wiggle testing

Two weeks later I got a call asking if I would accept an offer to run the shop along with my dad we accepted, within two years we turned that place around, they just needed a little guidance, all very book smart and could raddle off theory better than I, however they lacked a key element, “hands on real world experience” after that two years we moved on

The point I’m trying to make here, not everyone with a master certificate should be considered a master technician and hired just on that, some of the best techs I have worked with had very little if any schooling,

In addition to that not all bosses think alike, or can be created equal I have seen all types in this field

You have the boss that sits in an office with no clue what takes place on the floor, and in some cases can’t turn a wrench, with this type. yes it’s hard to get in the door without some proof of education

Then you have the boss that worked his way to the top by getting his hands dirty, this type of boss is typically found in independent shops most times the owner, now this don’t apply to all independent bosses by no means, I have seen all types some I would not even consider working for

the boss i'm referring to is the one I would like to be some day, the boss that understands and can read personality’s pretty well, knowing the trade can help determine if someone is cut out for the job or not, regardless of education

im not saying education is not important it is very important however there is more than one way to educate yourself, and I am living proof of that

If someone came to me with the passion and drive to better themselves, not afraid to show their weaknesses, regardless education level, I would take them under my wing in a heartbeat as an "apprentice" just like my dad did for me, hence one of the reasons I do what I do with the videos, I believe in sharing our knowledge is a great form of education, if one studies enough, that exam will be a breeze, their hands and hart hold the true reward, and to me I found this more rewarding, well then again I never did it the other way around lol any how great topic

Just wanted to share other options :) please don't mind the grammar that's just my lack of education showing through lol

Will Robinson
Robinsonsauto
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wrench Turner

• EricTheCarGuy
  • EricTheCarGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #64724 by EricTheCarGuy
Replied by EricTheCarGuy on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?

wizkid wrote: Hello again everyone! So far we've addressed the certified automotive technician, the none certified technician (parts hangers) or (R&R), the experienced vs certified technician. What about the type of technician that quantifies me? The automotive technician that has spent the last 20 years self educating himself in the field of electronic engineering, classical physics and ect. One who knows how to proficiently use a scope, understands the different meanings of the sine wave, square wave ect. Proficient in using scan tools, understands why some sensor output voltage is AC instead of DC, Proficient in using DMM, and now the power probe III and the ECT2000. I have none quantifiable hours of education from 1993 to present, my disability allowed me this learning curve. So once again I ask the academically certified automotive technicians, to quantify a none documented highly educated automotive technician!! B)

Honestly, it sounds like you're perfectly suited for a career in automotive education.

Stay dirty
The following user(s) said Thank You: wizkid

• EricTheCarGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #64725 by EricTheCarGuy

georgelv1999 wrote: Eric, first off, that's cool that you were at the top of your class. It is a great achievement.

See, to me although education is great, and of course it's beneficial in getting a job I don't think it's 100% necessary. Then I also think that automotive technicians are a breed apart from every other profession. How many people now-a-days have gone to college and graduated in a certain field and are actually working in that field. I have numerous friends and family that this is happening to them. One friend actually graduated in Marketing and still can't find a decent job. I guess that's why going to be an automotive technician is expensive.

Some people can't take a damn test, but will be able to dissect an engine in a heart beat and tell you exactly how everything works and what everything does. Would you hire that person knowing he couldn't pass the test but knows his stuff?

I think you and many others missed the point about how much you're worth if you don't have a piece of paper saying you completed an automotive program. I'm not saying you can't get a job without an automotive education, or that you don't possess the skills, what I'm saying is that you'll limit yourself to the bottom of the pay scale as a result. These days auto repair isn't paying all that great as it is, do you want to add another handicap on top of that?

Stay dirty

• EricTheCarGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #64726 by EricTheCarGuy

USMC0331 wrote: I agree on the value of getting an education, but I don't think it's always that easy.

Right now I work a fulltime job that has a crazy schedule. I can't make the hours for schooling work out for me because of my job. I have a wife, a mortgage and a kid on the way. My job might be going away soon, and so I've looking into being an auto tech.

I figured what the heck, e-mailed the owner of a local shop two miles from my house and told him I'm interested in apprenticing. We sat down yesterday and he hired me on to learn from him and work one day a week (on my day off). I'm still going to pursue my ASE certs, but I don't think actual schooling will be an option for me for a while.

I guess I'm trying to say that while I completely agree with the value of an education, it isn't always as easy as signing up for classes.

Nothing worth doing is easy. It just depends on how bad you want it. You found a way. I think this proves my point.

Stay dirty

• EricTheCarGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #64729 by EricTheCarGuy

robinsonsauto wrote: Just a little story i would like to share

The scene was a small roadside repair shop,ASE masters lined up on the wall; a young wrecker driver pulled up with a car on the hook, he joked with the mechanics as they walked out, man three times in one week I towed this same car, didn't they teach you how to fix cars in school? the owner replied yea this car has been a challenge I believe all my guys are stumped, they replaced all kinds of parts, it runs fine then out of nowhere just shuts off, and at times it will run fine for weeks
The driver said I know the feeling all too well I turned wrenches my whole life, we had to close up our shop last year, after talking for a short time the conversation turned back to the ASE’s on the wall, the owner of the shop understandably upset, said that paper means nothing they are costing me money I should just fire them all, the driver replied well I may not have much schooling all my training is hands on I guess you can call me home schooled, I have an expired masters and can count on my hands how many days I spent in school to achieve it, I just took the exams, and I must agree without hands on training and learning from other techs that have been in the field they don’t mean much but sure do look good on the wall, for the price of this tow job, double or nothing I bet I can fix that car for you

To make a long story short I was that driver, within in an hour I located, recreated the said symptoms and repaired a bad connection at the ECM, a loose pin that would intermittently shut off the fuel pump, using basic troubleshooting techniques, mostly wiggle testing

Two weeks later I got a call asking if I would accept an offer to run the shop along with my dad we accepted, within two years we turned that place around, they just needed a little guidance, all very book smart and could raddle off theory better than I, however they lacked a key element, “hands on real world experience” after that two years we moved on

The point I’m trying to make here, not everyone with a master certificate should be considered a master technician and hired just on that, some of the best techs I have worked with had very little if any schooling,

In addition to that not all bosses think alike, or can be created equal I have seen all types in this field

You have the boss that sits in an office with no clue what takes place on the floor, and in some cases can’t turn a wrench, with this type. yes it’s hard to get in the door without some proof of education

Then you have the boss that worked his way to the top by getting his hands dirty, this type of boss is typically found in independent shops most times the owner, now this don’t apply to all independent bosses by no means, I have seen all types some I would not even consider working for

the boss i'm referring to is the one I would like to be some day, the boss that understands and can read personality’s pretty well, knowing the trade can help determine if someone is cut out for the job or not, regardless of education

im not saying education is not important it is very important however there is more than one way to educate yourself, and I am living proof of that

If someone came to me with the passion and drive to better themselves, not afraid to show their weaknesses, regardless education level, I would take them under my wing in a heartbeat as an "apprentice" just like my dad did for me, hence one of the reasons I do what I do with the videos, I believe in sharing our knowledge is a great form of education, if one studies enough, that exam will be a breeze, their hands and hart hold the true reward, and to me I found this more rewarding, well then again I never did it the other way around lol any how great topic

Just wanted to share other options :) please don't mind the grammar that's just my lack of education showing through lol

Will Robinson
Robinsonsauto

That's an excellent point, especially the part about shop management. What I was trying to point out in the video was that an uncertified tech is not worth as much as a certified tech. I'm not saying the certified tech is better. What I'm saying is that as an employer you would be working very differently with someone that didn't have a background in automotive education. You'd also pay them differently. Why? Because you could. Let's not forget this is a business after all.

That said, you must admit that you're an exception. The truth is that most techs out there today, certified or not, are parts hangers. My former self included. I think the industry wants this. I think they'd rather have low wage parts hangers. I don't think they want to invest in someone who is REALLY qualified to do performance and electronic diagnosis. If they did, the pay would be much better for that skill set.

I'm sure this will be an ongoing debate. I welcome it. I'm learning more with every post I read.

Stay dirty

More
6 years 5 months ago #64736 by jeep72
Replied by jeep72 on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
I think you need the schooling. For me that piece of paper from school help me get my foot in the door I think without that piece of paper it would be alot harder to get a job.

• wizkid
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
  • I'm paralyzed, can't stop, move over
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #64803 by wizkid
Replied by wizkid on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
Food for thought!

1) (ASE) = Automotive Service Excellence, I applaud everyone that takes the time to become educated, and particularly those of you that continue with your education. For most of you here engaging in this great debate, you have seen technology advance over time. Early on, it was approximately every 10 years or so, then every 4 years, every 2 years, and now every 6 months. If you plan to continue in the field of automotive technology, then consider this, you can't repair something you don't understand. And if you think these cars are somewhat challenging, just wait another 6 months or less.
2) (SAE) = Society of Automotive Engineers, now here is where the rubber really hits the road. This is what I aspire to achieve, this is where the real money resides, but you have to bring your "A" game to this field "I'm just saying". And from my heart I wish everyone great success at your endeavors! B)
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by wizkid.

More
6 years 5 months ago #64838 by Kernsboy
Replied by Kernsboy on topic Do You Need an Automotive Education?
There are more school than just major colleges or specialty schools i go to a community college and it has one of the best automotive programs in my state. $94 dollars credit hour and i get a 55 percent discount on all my tools. That is cheap compared to most colleges and i recieve enough financial aid and pell that i get a full ride. The point is go to school they will help you find a job when your done and apply for financial aid you might be surprised on how much you get

Sinclair Community College Honda/Acura PACT 2015

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds