Menu

ETCG Gets a Truck

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions ETCG Gets a Truck

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I love this truck. I love driving it. I love looking at it, and I really love the fact it used to be my dad’s. That said, for now my plans are to drive and enjoy it. I’ll see where that takes me and go from there.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
      Participant

Man, I could not be happier for you! This is gonna be so awesome. I get that you have about 3 more projects than you need going on right now, and you want to just drive it. That’s fine, and that’s probably about what I would do as well if I were in your shoes. Man, I agree that this is probably the best looking vehicle in the fleet. It’s just immaculate as well. Beautiful inside and out. I met your dad at the meet up and we actually ended up speaking for a while. We chatted lots about the 51 Chevy and this truck. I remember telling him that I would put it back to factory, simply because I love having a full size truck with a stick. I don’t have a V8 like you, but yeah, I would enjoy the Full size/350/Manual combo a lot. He told me what good shape it was in and he is a man of his word. Your dad is a good man. If only I could remember his name. His name tag had “ETCG’s Dad” on it bigger than his name. I think it was Kevin. Hope I got it right. Anyway, I am super excited for you to have this truck.

I am kind of knowledgeable about these trucks. But I didn’t know you could get one with the 5.7/Manual. I think the trans is a NV3500. The NV4500 wasn’t put in those trucks until 1991. Vortec heads are a good swap you could do. I don’t think that would be a big problem even though you would have to swap the intake. A TBI Vortec intake should be cheap/easy to do since the bolts are different for Vortec intakes than traditional SBC intakes. Throw in a mild roller cam with about .450″ lift and you have a runner. Of course then you have to change the tune around. It’s always a cascade effect. One thing affects another. V8, dual exhaust, manual, with head/intake/cam/tune work and a 3.55/3.73 posi would make that truck a riot. And the deep overdrive on the NV3500 would make it a highway champ. I know all that work is so much easier said than done, so don’t think I make light of that. I don’t.

I am super excited for you man. You are amassing a collection of cars you love. And it’s crazy to say that I love them, too. If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be the Manual Vigor. I have been looking for one forever, but there isn’t one within 300 miles of me. That manual Vigor is the business. And I think you should keep both Vigors the way they are. The stick was a more base model, while the auto was the luxo-cruiser. I prefer the stick, though. Good luck with everything, man. I know you are at SEMA right now, and I hope you have a blast. Real happy for you man. Keep it real!

Nick

Greg HollowayGreg Holloway
        Participant

Hey Eric. Love the new truck. I joined the forum because i wanted to give you some transmission information. The original stick is a 5 speed with overdrive. I have one in my 64 Suburban, and it is one smooth shifting box. More car-like than truck like. The O/D also means the rear gears can be pretty deep. I have 3.73s and I’d go to 4.11s if I had to do it over. Also, that gearbox uses a special fluid (from the dealer) not gear oil or atf. About the clutch hydraulics, the earlier master/slave cylinders are more robust. Im saying this because two styles are available. I’ve seen ratings of 7000# GCWR for this gearbox, but I’ve towed 9000# gcw with mine with no ill effects, but I don’t race it.

Just thoughts for you if you consider the transmission swap.

Greg

Oh the transmission designation is HM290 which eventually became the NV3500.
          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_3500_transmission

Sean KotilaSean Kotila
          Participant

That is a beautiful truck, I am biased though.

If it were me, I would put the Nv3500 back in it, they aren’t bullet proof, but are more than sturdy enough for that truck. 11k rating. In my experiance they tent do have 3rd gear syncro issues, but are pretty simple to rebuild.

Literally just jointed to comment this video. videos are always great.

MikeMike
            Participant

Oh, the memories. My wife bought an ’89 GMC 4X4 350/auto swb stepside off the showroom floor. A fun truck, but the transmission was a POS. Got rebuilt 3 times under warranty. They even put in a torque converter from a diesel for some reason, but even after all that work, we still didn’t feel confident about the tranny. Maybe we got a lemon, but we did meet a lot of customers in the dealership service department who had tranny issues on similar trucks. There was definitely something going on at the time.

Hope things work out well for you. That’s a fine truck, and it’s in excellent condition.

Rick CropperRick Cropper
              Participant

Great truck. You can’t beat a 350 for reliability.

At my shop we work on and modify Subaru’s. In my driveway is a ’69 GMC, in my garage is an 86 Trans Am – both chevy small blocks.

Be careful – the SBC will ruin you on Honda, and the Ford stuff. Sorry but it’s true. There’s a reason people put it and the LS in everything. So much power, and so much reliability.

Reliable, Fast, or Cheap – pick two. The exception is the SBC and the LS. That’s really attractive and addictive. It’s ruined me on Subarus. I can build a 400 AWHP Subaru with discarded parts around my shop. It still won’t have the fun torque curve of a V8.

Rick

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…