Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • The Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

The Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions The Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

A few weeks back I did a video about the possibility that electric vehicles might put your local mechanic out of business. There was a lot of response to that video about electric vehicles. I thought I would make this video in response.

I look forward to your input.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Alex ThurstonAlex Thurston
      Participant

The wife has a hybrid, initially I wasn’t a big fan but it’s good fun trying to keep it on electric mode as much as possible and seeing what mpg you can get!

I don’t think a fully electric car would work for me though, I’m often on long journeys to more remote areas so I’d worry about range and getting stranded with nowhere to charge. I’ve not seen an electric vehicle where it’s possible to have a spare battery pack but you can always have a can of fuel in the boot.

For commuting I’m a big fan of the electric bike. I bought one at the start of last year and have covered over 3000 miles on it, pretty much all on my 30 mile round trip commute. Since it only has to pull my weight and it’s own relatively small weight the battery is small and even if it runs out I can still pedal home (although it will happily do 2 full days commute without recharging). You are a bit exposed to the elements though.

Around here the traffic is poor so my commute takes about as long as it would in the car. I love my Celica but it’s no fun sitting still in traffic pumping your wages out of the exhaust 🙁

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

That’s a great idea. I like the idea of electric bikes. Also good exorcize, even if you’re not doing all the work.

Jason WhiteJason White
          Participant

I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL. I still have my Silverado, but it’s retired from daily driving but I keep it for doing truck things.

Driving the Leaf. Actually, it rides very good, very quiet, very torquey off the line. Instant power. Handling is really good and smooth due to the heavy, but low battery, it has a very low center of gravity, would surprise you on how well it handles. Being the SL, it is leather, very nice inside. Bose radio, all of that. Nissan put more time into building this one. I also have a Versa (GF’s car at one time, now ex so I got it back) and it’s a POS compared to the Leaf. I got a very good deal on it, being right off lease. Seriously could not buy even close to that much car for the price. Before I got the Leaf, I was paying between 50-70/wk in fuel for my truck just back and forth to work. I charge my car at work, so what I save in fuel is the car payment, so basically almost a free car. What sucks is the range. Conclusion is that you can’t have a Leaf to be your only car. There is a learning curve to learning how to manage it.

As far as putting mechanics out of business? No, I am also a EV Tech at the dealer. Still lots of parts which will require repair and someone to know what course to take, and how to do it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…