Torque Converters Explained

More
6 years 8 months ago #52271 by Andrewthompsonuk
Replied by Andrewthompsonuk on topic Torque Converters Explained
Do remember those two speed Hondamatics?
They had converters that were so good you did not have to change gear even on a hill. They were also very thin. What made them so much better than the conventional fat ones?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #52409 by Alexhuntin
Replied by Alexhuntin on topic Torque Converters Explained
im building an off road trial dune buggy my question is could i use a torque from a car in a dune buggy with a 18hp Briggs and Strattons engine side shaft and what would be the best one to use the buggy only wights 300 to 400 lbs its the orange one im putting trail arms on the rear and bigger ones on the front any on can help would be great thank Alex_huntzinger@yahoo. com
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #52417 by roywrench22
Replied by roywrench22 on topic Torque Converters Explained
Alex,
A car unit wouldn't work on your application. They make centrifugal clutches, like the ones in snowmobiles, that would be better for you. Some people call these torque converters also. Once you get the right springs and weights in, they are great. You can get them from go cart part suppliers. You will need the horsepower, tire size, final gear ratio, and weight of the vehicle to pick the right one out. You then fine tune with different springs and centrifugal weights for max performance. Looks like a fun project. When you get it done, try studding the tires and riding it on the ice.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by roywrench22.

More
6 years 8 months ago #52452 by Alexhuntin
Replied by Alexhuntin on topic Torque Converters Explained
i know what you are talking about i have one on my trike it really nice but im looking for more power with out a bigger engine and 300 hundred dollar cvt i am vary mechanically inclend and i have the tools to do what ever i need to do but do they have a torque converter that has all the fluids self contand or what car have cvt in them like the Mitsubishi landser

More
4 months 1 week ago #202842 by NCC74656
Replied by NCC74656 on topic Torque Converters Explained
two questions. i have a 4 speed in my truck. (47re) im putting down about 1200ft/lbs at the wheels. should i be focused on getting a billet stator or would a normal low stall stator be ok? also, i have my TCC locking in the top of 1st gear under heavy throttle. so it locks at 18Mph and stays locked through 1-2-3-4/od shifts and adds a great deal of acceleration, this only happens under HEAVY throttle, normal driving the TCC stays unlocked .
im trying to save money and the normal stator is considerably cheaper.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #203316 by Jedrzej
Replied by Jedrzej on topic Torque Converters Explained
I have a few questions out of curiosity...
1. The case of the converter is sealed to keep the fluid inside etc. Ok. But is there any possibility the fluid could get degraded and cause the converter to work below the factory parameters?
2. What about the clutching element you've presented in the video - could it get worn out and fail?
3. What is the estimated mileage of the torque converter under "normal" driving conditions? I.e. is it possible for the converter to fail after going about 90 thousand miles?

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #203682 by Manny_f1
Replied by Manny_f1 on topic Torque Converters Explained
I think the torque converter in my 2001 Toyota Corolla is having issues during low speed bumper to bumper traffic the transmission would slip slightly. I say it's the torque converter because off throttle I feel the torque converter would disengage but when I go accelerate it would slip slightly.

I tried to change my driving style and ease on throttle very carefully and it would won't slippage but I'll be moving very slowly because of it. One time went to merge in a lane in the city with heavy traffic so it evoled alot of creeping the tranny didn't drop a gear instead the engine revved up and it felt like it shifted up or torque converter locked up suddenly this caused the whole car to shake when it happend. The transmission would shift fine after when driving on the highway or 30 or 40 MPH city speeds.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds