Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Decarbonizing Your Engine With Water

Decarbonizing Your Engine With Water

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Decarbonizing Your Engine With Water

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I get the feeling this video might be a little controversial. I also get the feeling that I’m going to hear quite a bit about, “you’ll blow your engine up!”. However, if you use this technique in moderation you should be just fine doing this. Alright, fire away.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RereonehundredRereonehundred
      Participant

Hilarious! It’s been since about 1960 since I’ve seen anyone mention or do this “water service”.

But I’m a doubter. I would have put a white cloth at the tailpipe to catch any carbon as proof.

Of course combustion also produces enormous amounts of water, and there’s atmospheric humidity. So what’s the value of the trickle fed into the intake. You really can’t put much water into the intake or you’ll quench the fire by going too far non-stoichiometric on the mixture.

But it sure was fun watching you do this.

The best way to decarbonize is to run lean and hot and long.

John HugonJohn Hugon
        Participant

Now you’re giving all the big secrets away. I’ve repaired drivability problems to engine knocks with water….but….only do it the way Eric demonstrated it.

dandan

carbon build up too lots of short trips, sounds like the Highway VS City driving discussion 😉

anyhow yes i have said it once before and i will say it again, this is a proven method the used during WWII on old airplane engines when they used 150 Octane leaded gasoline, and i have had multiple people suggest this over seafoam

seafoam in my opinion is ok but water gets in there and steams up really nice, i have a question eric, do you think if i mixed a little ever clear, Vodka or moonshine in that water with a little dawn dish soap would it increase the cleaning properties? just a hair, i mean think about it, they use dawn dish soap too clean oil spill stuff off animals! you would get the steam cleaning effects from the water and lets face it thats pretty much what E-85 is! 195proof moonshine mixed with about 15% Gasoline!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Honestly I don’t know if that would help or not. In my eyes, if the water works, the water works. So far, the water has worked for me just fine.

dandan

i understand eric, but i was just thinking maybe something someone could try? heck i might even try it, i cant make a video though all i have is my gopro and you know as well as i do the sound quality of those things SUCK

water works for sure, thats why people have been using it too clean carbon out of internal combustion engines since WWII

Petr MiskerikPetr Miskerik
                Participant

I also want do this but i don’t know if i should put water before turbo or behind turbo. I have fear that water stay in intercooler and not in engine. And water in intercooler, that suck. It may be very dangerous for engine if engine suck too much water in short time…

Eric and others, how i should to do this?

dandan

after turbo is my suggestion if there is a vacuum line on the intake manifold…

this brings up another interesting idea, toy squirt gun! let me explane, rather than carfully dump the water in with a cup, how about squirt it in with a toy squirt gun or spay bottle in small streams, this will feed the intake a small steady stream of water rather than just pouring it in, and will make it easier for cars that are not carburreted like mine and rushlifes, where they may only be able too use a funnel and intake vacuum line…

may be interesting too also try a mist of water, that way the water partials are already in droplets too more equally distribute throughout the intake allowing water too coat the valves and intake vallies and pourts and the top of the pistons and combustion chambers, what do you guys think?

John HugonJohn Hugon
                    Participant

After the intercooler. Injecting water before the turbo in an intercooled, most of the water will condense.

In my opinion, only do the decarbonizing if you need to.

JamieJamie
                      Participant

I like this method. Works well. For injected cars I disconnect the brake booster feed from the manifold. Clamp on a different hose and use a garden mister to spray water in. Same method as Erics, I hold the throttle open quite a bit. Some engines are more sensitive to the vacuum leak you’re essentially giving it, I find if use some pliers and pinch the hose off slightly it helps. You can also use the PCV inlet if its easier to get at.

I know some old timers that add a bit of Methylhydrate to their water to do this. Adding a litre of that to a full tank of fuel is also a good way to get cars with higher emissions through AirCare testing. Works like a charm!

A toyotakarlIts me

Will go on the record as saying this… This is an out-dated service and an out-dated practice…. Another old wives tale that somehow got re-visted from back in the day when gas had lead in it and carburated cars had years of crap built up, but the reason that the carbon was there was because carburetors just dumped more fuel into the engine than the engine could swallow and the engine still performed “just fine”… Oh yeah, gas was also 17 cents a gallon as well…

Absolutely not something for a fuel injected car… Please!!! Definitely do not try this with a fuel injected engine… While if done without stalling the engine, it most likely will not hurt anything, it will simply waste your time….

But it may give you psychosomatic (you think its working) beliefs like giving an asprin to a wounded person and telling him its morphine, or installing a $20 performance “chip” that just lights an LED… But you really believe you are getting 10-40 more horsepower….

Perhaps the local Jiffy lube would sell me a “decarbonizing” cleaning like this….. hmmm maybe they would do it if they thought they could make $99.99 with $.03 worth of water…

Snake oil and outdated..

Respectfully agree to disagree….

JMHO

-Karl

Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
                          Participant

i heard starting fluid will work just as good as water.

dandan

i can see it working in the case of very heavily carbonized engines, just don’t expect it too work miracles… thats my two cents and at the same time i would be very careful with starting fluid.

Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
                              Participant

I was just kidding about using starting fluid.

I wonder if beer would work though…

dandan

i wouldn’t use beer with the ingredients that are in it, i could see bad results coming from that… water works fine because its just water, the alcohol idea i had would make it more of a solvent helping break up the carbon, the dish soap part is where i could see issues with it bubbling and foaming up inside the engine and leaving a residue, but with as well as i have seen it clean oil and carbon off parts it just kind of struck me as a idea…

Nicholas FNicholas
                                  Participant

Hi Eric one and all from the UK!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…