Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Honda Element & CRV Alternator Replacement With Diagnosis

Honda Element & CRV Alternator Replacement With Diagnosis

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Honda Element & CRV Alternator Replacement With Diagnosis

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Personally, I really like this video. I hope you do too.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Christopher KratzChristopher Kratz
      Participant

Regarding those 2 lower bolts, considering how far you’re reaching down into the engine bay in addition to not being able to see them, would it not be easier to access those 2 bolts from below? I’ve never worked on a Honda Element so I would imagine there must be some sort of obstacle that prevented you from doing so. If not, what did you get that lift for?!

Keymaster

If I remember correctly they were difficult to reach from underneath as well.

MikeMike
          Participant

Good video, informative.

Just two quibbles from the peanut gallery. First, it’s a good idea to unplug the electric radiator fan when jamming your hands underhood on a warm engine. Those fans can start up at any time, even with the engine off. Second, when cutting the excess off a zip tie, a utility knife will allow you to make the cut flush with the top of the connector. It’s much safer than having an engine bay bristling with razor-sharp plastic stubs. I’m sure we’ve all been raked by plastic thorns over the years. Not fun. (After cutting, I take the time to make a few passes over the connector with a file to blunt anything that may still be sticking out.)

Keymaster

Fans can’t come on with the (-) batt cable removed which is the first thing I did. As for the zip tie, I ended up replacing the radiator and used a regular fastener so the zip tie is no longer there.

Thanks for your input.

MAUREEN A GLASKINMAUREEN A GLASKIN
              Participant

yes, my number 15 fuse was blown…..so i replaced it and it blew again……does that mean i need to replace the element?

thanks maureen

Keymaster

It likely means you have a short in the wiring somewhere.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

Paul CPaul Christophersen
                  Participant

I don’t have a power and ground meter, but using a voltmeter with the engine running I am getting 7.6volts on the white-green wire. Is that low enough that it should still trigger the alternator to charge? Or does that indicate a problem with the ELD or (hopefully not)ECM?

Paul CPaul Christophersen
                    Participant

I went ahead and replaced the alternator, and that fixed my charging issue. So even if you see 7.6volts on the white-green wire, it still may be a bad alternator. Hope this information helps someone in the future.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…