Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Don’t Let This Happen to You Video

Don’t Let This Happen to You Video

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Don’t Let This Happen to You Video

• Creator
    Topic
    Jacob AustinJacob Austin
    Participant

Eric,

Thank you for posting this! It speaks to the fact that you truly care more about keeping people safe than you do about your own ego. Very commendable sir!

I had a similar experience last December while unloading an engine. We were in a time crunch as we were using a borrowed hoist, and made a mistake that left us with a dented oil pan. We all knew better, but just got in a hurry. I’m just thankful none of us were hurt. We were able to recycle the oil pan from the other motor, so it all turned out really well when you think about what could have happened.

Another big takeaway for me is the importance of taking a step back, at least when possible. Certainly if you fix cars for a living there are time constraints that are out of your control. However as a DIYer I continue to find that if I will just stop for a minute, take a break if necessary, and then reevaluate the situation– I am often able to work my way through the problem with a lot less frustration. My dad always gave me this advice growing up. I usually didn’t want to hear it in the moment, but the older that I get the more I find it rings true. The way that you were able to come back and solve your problem in the video I think really echoes this point.

Lastly, thank you for posting this as it helps me not feel so bad about our mistake (which I was really frustrated about). We are all going to make mistakes, but the most important thing is to learn from them. When we are willing both to share and/or learn from one another’s mistakes it can save us all a lot of heartache and frustration.

Super video Eric, thanks!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thank you for your post. I agree. It is good to learn from you mistakes. Even better if you can learn from someone else’s.

I agree on your other point as well.

Jason WhiteJason White
        Participant

Working on vehicles is definitely a field where it’s easy to get hurt and there are a lot of dangers but the good thing is that it’s usually a very easy to control. I think it’s important to make sure that you are never in the way of something if something were to catastrophically go wrong. Note how Eric was never under that engine or really in it’s way, and as soon as it started to tip, he pushed it away and allowed himself to be pushed the other way. Just pure instinct after working in a shop. The issue is that some people with less experience, worried about the consequences of the falling engine, might try to save it and that’s where you’ll really get hurt.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…