Menu

Failing alternator

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Failing alternator

• Creator
    Topic
    DrewDrew
    Participant

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot and am on my 3rd alternator replacement since July 2017. The electrical system seems to be a bit strange anyway because it has a done light with a short, but that light was removed. The A/C compressor relay was also replaced. Anyway, curious if thrres known common issues that can cause an alternator to fail so soon. They have all been installed from honda dealers and assume are Denso but for sure they are remanufactured. Any info is apprecisted!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
      Participant

Well if they’re giving you new alternators at the dealership then they must be brand new. Now since you’ve been through several of them already I suspect that you probably have frayed ground and electrical wiring somewhere in the system and that’s what’s causing the alternator to go out. You also wanna make sure that you have a brand new battery for the car or a relatively new one because that can affect the charging system as well if it has dead cells or is not fully charged. But if the battery tests okay then I would definitely take a look at the electrical wiring going to the alternator because chances are you have a short somewhere

DrewDrew
        Participant

Thanks for the thoughts. I actually forgot i had posted this here and had the alternator go bad again. Turns out it was the oil control switch leaking oil directly onto the alternator.

JohnJohn
          Blocked

I absolutely agree with you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…