Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?

What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
    Participant

Hello!

So I am sick of using hand tools and my electric impact isn’t that versatile, so I wanted to make the jump and get some air tools. The problem is, I do not know much about air compressors. How powerful of an air compressor, and how big, do I need for a DIY mechanic like myself? Any other useful tips about air compressors would be appreciated!

Thanks!
      ~Matt

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      steven jacobsensteven jacobsen
      Participant

Alot depends on your use of a compressor. The one Eric has is a great size but me personally I prefer an oiled compressor over a dry pump. Longer life and less noise. If you are just giving shots with an impact a small tank is fine. To let an air ratchet or die grinder sing for a while 20 gal or more for sure. Electricity is important. If you have crappy hydro then you are limited to a smaller pump.
        I will only have a 230 volt 60 gal 14 cfm at minimum but it gets used alot and makes me money. One advantage to a big proper compressor is that it will last most people forever.

BruceBruce
        Participant

I have a campbell hausfeld 20 gallon. Bought new 20 years ago. It works ok. Tools that use a lot of air, like die grinders, will empty the tank pretty quick. And I can definitely tell a difference with impacts at home vs at work. Very noticeable loss of power with the smaller compressor. I had bought an oil less compressor several years ago to replace it, but didnt like it so sold it.

Participant

I set up a system for a friend that might help you. I got a 20 gallon pig tank and put a shut off valve on a “T” fitting. doubled the size of his tank and now he has a pig tank always full. made a world of difference the odd time he ran his die grinder.

Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
            Participant

Look at the CFM needs of the tools you want. Pick the maximum need at 90PSI, add at least 10%, then buy a compressor of that output.

As far as brands, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersol rand and several others are great compressors. US General from Harbor Freight is okay as long as it isn’t in production use.

Expect to pay hundreds to thousands of $ for the best machines for any use.

Participant

Thanks for the replies!

619DioFan619DioFan
                Participant

[quote=”Superman” post=48146]I have a campbell hausfeld 20 gallon. Bought new 20 years ago. It works ok. Tools that use a lot of air, like die grinders, will empty the tank pretty quick. And I can definitely tell a difference with impacts at home vs at work. Very noticeable loss of power with the smaller compressor. I had bought an oil less compressor several years ago to replace it, but didnt like it so sold it.[/quote]

LOL. I to have a campbell hausfeld 20 gallon ( 3.5 hp ) bought it at Montgomery wards almost 30 years ago. thing just keeps going and going. handles my impact and air ratchet ok but die grinders and body tools ( sanders and such ) not so much. no room for a 60 gal right now otherwise would have one.

BruceBruce
                  Participant

Thats where I got mine. All I have done is change the oil a few times. Still has the original belt on it.

619DioFan619DioFan
                    Participant

Same maintanance program here. same belt too. nice to meet someone else who remembers ” monkey wards “

EthanEthan
                      Participant

[quote=”snshd” post=48127]… me personally I prefer an oiled compressor over a dry pump. Longer life and less noise. ….[/quote]

I’m sorry, I don’t what to seem like I’m hi-jacking this thread, but what’s the difference between an “oiled compressor” and a “dry pump?” We have three compressors around the house; a Craftsman (Sears), a Husky (Home Depot), and another Husky that’s small enough to fit inside a small 4 cyl car. I don’t quite remember how much each three hold, however I’m curious to find out what KIND of compressors they are. I’m just the average no nothing consumer. :silly:

Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
                        Participant

[quote=”Awkward Shellfish” post=48723][quote=”snshd” post=48127]… me personally I prefer an oiled compressor over a dry pump. Longer life and less noise. ….[/quote]

I’m sorry, I don’t what to seem like I’m hi-jacking this thread, but what’s the difference between an “oiled compressor” and a “dry pump?” We have three compressors around the house; a Craftsman (Sears), a Husky (Home Depot), and another Husky that’s small enough to fit inside a small 4 cyl car. I don’t quite remember how much each three hold, however I’m curious to find out what KIND of compressors they are. I’m just the average no nothing consumer. :silly:[/quote]

The compression piston chamber needs adequate lubrication. Oil is used in oiled compressors. In dry-pump compressors, the cylinder is permanently lubricated, mostly with Teflon. That’s the major difference. If the owner’s manual doesn’t say that periodic oil changes are needed, you likely have a ‘dry pump’ compressor.

Oil free (Dry Pump)
                          Little Maintenance
                          Fewer Parts
                          Light Weight
                          Inexpensive
                          Less Durable
                          Louder
                          Light/Medium duty and Non-commercial Applications

Oiled
                          Periodic Oil Changes
                          More Parts
                          Heavier Weight
                          More Expensive
                          More Durable
                          Quieter
                          Heavy Duty and Commercial Applications

Participant

Man! I am loving all these replies! I am learning a lot!

twiggytwiggy
                            Participant

I have the Husky 30 gallon compressor from Home Depot. It’s an oil’ed model and made by Campbell Hausfield, assembled in the US. I love it and its so much quieter than the oil-less compressor it replaced.

Participant

I should probably add, NEVER use an extension cord with a compressor or any high amp tool. It will have performance problems and burn the motor out faster. If you can’t get a compressor close enough then get more air hose.

drthrift035drthrift035
                                Participant

The best compressor for a DIY mechanic is something that is versatile. You need something that can run all off your tools without the pressure build up delay. I personally hate to wait for the compressor to build up pressure. You need to be able to run the following: Air Hammer, Air Ratchet, Impact Wrenches Etc.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…