Menu

My ride: 1991 VW Jetta.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Favorite Cars My ride: 1991 VW Jetta.

• Creator
    Topic
    JamieJamie
    Participant

My ride, Genuine German built 91 Jetta. No “Hecho en Mexico” in this car.

-16v GTI H4 E-code headlights w/relay harness
      -Euro tails, and side blinkys
      -Factory fogs, now filled with water and useless no thanks to winter.
      -GTI paint match mirrors, GLI spoiler
      -G60 Corrado 15″ steel wheels, with THE LAST set of center caps VW headquarters had for good!
      -Kumho Escta summer rubber
      -16v / Mk3 VW 10.1″ Girling brake and steering knuckle swap
      -Short shift kit built for Suzuki Samauri’s with VW diesel engines swapped in.
      -G60 engine Dual down pipe upgrade and 2 & 1/4″ tubing.
      -Cup kit lowering with VR6 strut bearings.
      -Heavy sway bar and strut tower bar on front.
      -Almost solid engine/trans mounts.
      -84 Rabbit GTI seats – basicly a poor mans Reccaro.

-nothing crazy done to the engine other than new ignition, water pump job, T belt, top end overhaul and a proper calibration job. But that’s not to say I didn’t pull a few tricks out of my sleeves. Couple other new bits here and there but nothing worth typing.

Not bad for a car that I paid $150 for, since the engine didn’t run properly. It was more work to bring the paint back than fixing the engine. Its no monster but its sure fun to drive around. Get it on the Sea to Sky highway and make sure you can left foot brake!

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jshankland/media/IMG_0842_zps1dee628e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/jshankland/IMG_0842_zps1dee628e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

-And yes, those mudflaps are cutting boards from Ikea.

Currently in the works:
      -Building a new relay harness that looks factory, like it came that way from Wolfsburg.
      -trying to find the “check engine” switch that California sold cars came with. Zero performance but added cool factor.
      -Now that our AirCare laws are changing the exhaust system may loose some bits and pieces.
      -Trying to decided between 3 engine/gear boxs combos to swap in. 2.0L ABA from a Mk3 OBD1 car, 2.0 L 2Y 16v from an old GTI or Passat, or 1.8T from a Mk4, with the 20V head from an Audi Quattro.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Nice Car! (Not that I could be biased or anything)

Where have you been lately?

JamieJamie
        Participant

Nice to see someone with similar taste 🙂 Looks very clean! Been busy busy with work. I usually only get online while eating breakfast…..at 5:30AM.

What engine you got packed under the hood?

MikeMike
          Participant

Thanks man! It still has the stock engine, but it’s tuned so it has great response and drives almost like a race car. I’ve considered so many engine swaps, but it’s so reliable that I can’t bring myself to disrupt such a good thing I’ve had going for almost 15 years.

Take a look, and check the description for full info:

I was watching this video of the car in your avatar image earlier today too:

In the spring I’m going to try and properly capture video of a good downhill run, the kind that when you stop at the end your chest and head feel like you just finished having sex and smoke from the front brakes can be seen from inside the car. Man, it’s only been shelved for the winter for 6 weeks and I’m already jonesing for it.

JamieJamie
            Participant

I will agree the engine that came stock in our cars is a good one if tuned to spec, but for the headache in ‘race’ tuning it I’d rather just swap in something newer and better. I need a new ISV on mine. Its bypassing some air, leaning it out. Doesn’t have the pep it did. I could just turn up the fuel adjuster but Id rather it have a working ISV.

Watched your video!
              That engine has some aftermarket goodies hanging off it…….. Whats the AFM, MAF set up? Doesnt look like DIgifant.

MikeMike
              Participant

[quote=”JS” post=123986]for the headache in ‘race’ tuning it I’d rather just swap in something newer and better.[/quote]

Absolutely correct. Fitting an aftermarket engine management system to that engine is a hell of a chore with having to add cam and crank trigger wheels and so forth. I have all kinds of engine swap ideas, but it’s tough to swap out the reliability. I don’t know if I’ll ever blow it up, but I’m kind of waiting for that to do a swap.

The airflow meter is from the 3.5L engine that came in early 90’s BMW 535 and 735 models. It’s a plug and play and has bosses for 3″ hose on the intake and exit side instead of being built into an airbox. It’s nice for making a “better” intake, but I’m not convinced it ever did anything useful. The little box on the side is a variable resistor I wired into the MAF signal wire to add resistance, but that doesn’t do anything useful either. Those parts were the last “mod” I tired on that car, gotta be 5 years ago now I did that.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…