Menu

2003 Nissan Sentra GXE

• Creator
    Topic
    NicholeNichole
    Participant

We have had so much trouble figuring this car out and I am ready to junk the dang thing and walk for the rest of my life. Bought the car in March 2018, but end of April it was running rough and like coughing when accelerating. The the check engine light came on, Cylinder 3 misfire. So we changed the plugs, good to go for a couple weeks and the same thing happened. So we changed the coil packs and plugs. Good for a couple months. Light and symptoms came back again. A random mobile mechanic told us to try Sea Foam, we did and it ran excellent for months, then the symptoms slowly started again and the light again. Before we could get any further with trouble shooting it wouldn’t start, turns over but no start. Went to check the plugs and found oil in #3. So we replaced all 4 plug seals and the valve cover gasket, cleaned out as much oil as we could from the plug. replaced the plug and coil on #3. Car will still not start and we are scratching our heads and don’t know where to go from here. Any ideas or thoughts would be super helpful. I am disabled and can walk but its not easy and I can not afford to just go buy another car.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rahul JonesRahul Jones
      Participant

Cranking with no start is not usually a single cylinder ignition issue. I bet there is a fault with some sensor. If you have access to an OBD tool it would worth checking for codes. As it will help save a lot of time and money.

NicholeNichole
        Participant

Thank you. If I understand correctly, you’re saying the oil on the spark plug and the cylinder 3 misfire code, where not the reason the car would not start. Granted it was a serious problem but it would not keep the car from starting it would only affect the performance? Am I getting it? Unfortunately we do not have an OBD tool, looking for a mobile mechanic to come and make that attempt, we really want to do this on our own though. Any ideas of where we should start without an ODB? Oh and I just learned that the night before the car dies on us he gave his friend a jump, could that have. Lown something out of whack?

NicholeNichole
          Participant

The mobile mechanic came this morning and my car is starting and driving, but needs repairs. He said it is the swirl valve I guess it is only found in Nissans. He fiddled with it and the car started, he said this is most likely the issue we have from day one. He will replace it for us but it doesn’t look like you can buy just the swirl valve you have to buy the lower part of the intake manifold. Ugh that cant be good.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
            Participant

So, looks like he found the no start issue. I personally stopped jump starting any car after my 2005 Kia Sorento got a short after jumping a car which was a pain to track down too.

Along with this it might be a good idea to fix the oil leak issue too if not the misfire will gradually come again.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…