Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • My Sportage is starting to sound like a diesel!

My Sportage is starting to sound like a diesel!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here My Sportage is starting to sound like a diesel!

• Creator
    Topic
    JimJim
    Participant

I have a 2013 Sportage LX with the 2.4. I bought it in 2014 with only 18,000 miles on it, and it currently has around 129,000 on the odometer. So far, it has been running fine.

I noticed about a month ago that under low RPM (say, 500 to 750 RPM), the engine sounds a bit like a diesel. It is not too loud, but is noticeable when I decide not to blast my radio. This is typically when in slow traffic or coasting in school zones. When I am up to speed, the engine sounds normal. Other than smelling a little more gas in the exhaust when starting the car up, there have been no problems with my Sportage, and it runs fine (I hope that I don’t jinx myself by typing this). I’ve been doing regular scheduled maintenance and oil changes.

I get paid this week, and will replace my spark plugs as it is time, as well as air filter. I will also pour some Techron in the tank while I am at it. I am hoping that the spark plugs change may help.

Does anyone know if this is this normal for the 2.4? It does concern me, as I do not want a major repair, nor do I wish to be looking for another vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles for a bit (I had a 2002 Dakota with full time four wheel drive and the 4.7 V-8…I finally traded it in when it had 210,000 miles on it. It would not pass inspection, or I would have kept on driving it!).

I’ve been watching Eric for a bit, but never thought about his page or the forums.

Thank you for your time!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

A video of the noise may help.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…