Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Help with Altima stalling when in gear

Help with Altima stalling when in gear

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Help with Altima stalling when in gear

• Creator
    Topic
    EddyEddy
    Participant

Hi there, I looking for help/guidance in troubleshooting my 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5L. It’s an automatic transmission (CVT) with about 260,000 km. It was working perfectly fine until a few days age… It starts up just fine, idles good and there are no service lights on the dash.

The problem that I’m having is that once I try to put it into gear (reverse or drive ) it stalls out within a few seconds. I’m able to start it right up again (in park or neutral) but it keeps stalling when i put it into a moving gear.

After trying a few different things I was able to get the car moving up and down my driveway by starting it up in neutral, feathering the gas and putting it directly into gear. I didn’t want to take a chance and drive it on the street but it looks like as long as I give it gas and the car is moving it works fine. If i slow down too much or come close to a full stop it dies.

Anyone experience a similar issue or have suggestions on what can be causing the problem?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

It may be your CVT binding up under load and low rpm

EddyEddy
        Participant

That doesn’t sound good. So it can be a transmission problem. Is there any way to confirm that the problem?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Off the top of my head ….
            You could try putting the vehicle up on jack stands,
            Start the engine and put it in gear and see if the engine is being loaded down by the transmission.
            Only problem maybe is, the weight of the vehicle may be contributing to the issue and without it you may not see a problem.

You could also drain the transmission fluid and see if there is any excessive metal floating around in the fluid
            Also might consider dropping the transmission pan and look for any debris.

college mancollege man

With no codes, Start with fuel pressure. If that checks out cam and crank sensors would be next.
              Also check that the TB is not dirty.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…