I have a 2007 sentra 2.0l can i run thicker oil in it.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #203660 by ferd
The car has 215k on it. Always changed oil every 5k. However i have blowby. Car runs good in every way. Just wondering if i could put a heavier oil in it- I always did that for older cars. however autozone says you have to be careful because it can mess up the timing in newer cars. Not sure a 2007 is considered a newer car. The car uses 5w30 oil. I want to put in 10w30 oil. Also I dd something stupid I put in 8 ounces of Marvel mystery oil in thinking maybe i had some gummed up valves or rings. It is now spitting oil out the oil cap. OOPS before it wasnt. Another reason for using heavier oil. I think the heavier oil affects cars with variable valve timing. Not sure if this car has that.
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by ferd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
3 weeks 6 hours ago #203671 by college man
Check that the pcv is not clogged. My daughters 2010 sentra has blow by. What I did was installed a oil catch can.
She has almost 125k on it. You can't stop the blow by but you can catch it. Using the thicker oil will not solve the problem.

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ferd

More
3 weeks 2 hours ago #203674 by ferd
I found out that with these newer cars you cant put in a heavier oil. However I have ordered a catch can. Thanks for the input.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #203680 by college man
keep us posted on the catch can install.

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds