Will a timing belt throw a OBD-1 code? 1993 HOnda accord.

• fishervw
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #203836 by fishervw
Eric, (1993 Honda accord)Car was shifting from 2 to 3rd when we just lost power and died. Car would turn over and over but would not start again. Tow truck driver said he thought it was the timing belt. If it was the timing belt, I was told not to crank the engine over in fear of internal damage.

I tried to access any codes from the car before attempting to doing the timing belt. When I closed the circuit with a wire, I didn't get any flashing just a solid engine light. Does this mean the car didn't have any codes? Without the wire the engine light is not on, with the wire the engine light stays solid, no flashes.
Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by fishervw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
1 week 5 days ago #203843 by college man
If the engine light is not on, Then the computer has not seen any faults. Remove the timing belt cover
and inspect the belt. I would also line up the timing marks to see if the car is in time and not jumped
teeth.

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.

More
1 week 2 days ago #203859 by Angrysmileyface
Replied by Angrysmileyface on topic Will a timing belt throw a OBD-1 code? 1993 HOnda accord.
Broken timing belt will often show 0 codes on an OBD-1 engine. Either remove the distributor cap and have someone just bump the engine to see if the rotor spins, or do as previously mentioned, pull the timing cover and inspect the belt physically. When the one on my 94 snapped (On the highway of all places) I pulled the distributor cap and had someone crank the car for a brief bump and determined stuff up top just aint spinning

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds