2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #203845 by Vlad2
I snapped the bolt that mounts the left rear shock to the lower control arm on my 2011 Honda Pilot. I was able to sawall the shock out of the lower control arm as the bolts was holding the shock in and wouldn't come out. Then I tried to remove the bolt and part of the strut mount, it spun bu wouldn't come out, so I grabbed the "nut" welded to the control arm. The "nut" (its rounded so you can't us it as a nut) spun right off the broken bolt. Good thing cause I didn't need to drill it out. Bad because well, its not on the control arm anymore.

My thought is to get a flange nut and a new bolt (the bolt will hopefully be from Honda) and just torque it down. Would this be fine or should I pull the control arm and have it welded at the local welding shop?

Also, any idea what the torque specs are for the rear suspension? I am also putting new springs in it because one broke at the base. (of course the other side came apart just fine because I used the Big Red Wrench (mapp gas)).

As always, thanks for your help!

Rolling in a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, 08 Buick Lacrosse, 06 Subaru Forester
Wife's 2001 Honda Civic is the bane of my existence and a 1998 Nissan Maxima that needs a little love and sold.

P.I.T.T. Let's Go PITT!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Vlad2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #203861 by college man
Replied by college man on topic 2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped
A flanged nut or grade 8 or higher nut and washer should work. torque and go.

www.justanswer.com/honda/1t14c-torque-se...shock-absorbers.html

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by college man.

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #203863 by Vlad2
Replied by Vlad2 on topic 2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped
yea, that is what I bought, I got a lock washer too. I got it all apart and the new springs in (the bottom of the right spring was broken off). Went to get the sway arm linkages off as I ate the crap out of them getting them out of the control arm with vise grips. Cut the sway bar end off the left one like any good rust belt shade tree would do with a sawzall ( the grinder gave out the magic smoke last month, just haven't grabbed a new one yet) and cut it off, and it won't come out of the hole, of the sway bar.... lol.... so after the holiday, I will grab an air hammer and fix that issue. haha. Looks like a black friday deal on a new angle grinder is happen too.

Rolling in a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, 08 Buick Lacrosse, 06 Subaru Forester
Wife's 2001 Honda Civic is the bane of my existence and a 1998 Nissan Maxima that needs a little love and sold.

P.I.T.T. Let's Go PITT!
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Vlad2.

More
1 week 1 day ago #203867 by college man
Replied by college man on topic 2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped
Perfect excuse for a new tool. Keep us posted on your progress.

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds