Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • timing chain replacement on a 2014 nissan altama 2.5 – qr25de engine question

timing chain replacement on a 2014 nissan altama 2.5 – qr25de engine question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here timing chain replacement on a 2014 nissan altama 2.5 – qr25de engine question

• Creator
    Topic
    nicknick
    Participant

cannot find anyone who has replaced a timing chain on a 2014 nissan altama 2.5 (qr25de) engine. The manual says to remove engine and trans assembly, then separate trans and put engine on engine stand. Is all this necessary? i have done evaluations and the only thing i can see that would hinder me would be having to hold engine up with a holding device during repair. engine is doing weird timing symptoms that were almost unexplained until i performed the cam/crank correlation test on a scope meter, and have found with this test timing is off at least a tooth. At this point I know there IS a timing issue, but need to break down to see what and why. (94,000 miles with a good history of maintenance) tomorrow i plan to explore this issue with engine in vehicle but while i was thinking on it wanted to see if you have had any experience with this. (nissan dealer and identifix fellas have not done this repair they say). PS if you or anyone does have experience in this procedure any advise would be much appreciated. .. PS all solenoids and vvt sprockets ARE working properly(as far as tests go). Thank you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

What is the car doing that the timing chain would be suspect? Any codes?

nicknick
        Participant

p0300–p0301–p0304… no timing codes.. vehicle starts and runs like its out of time.. on start up when cold int/sol % is at 0 — and int/timing is around 20′— i cannot see exhaust vvt system stuff on this car because i need to update my scanner (which i will do today) but after vehicle warms up, int/timing’ goes to 0 as it should at idle. keep in mind it being 20′ when cold is not right and i think the pcm is trying to compensate for out of time issue. the solenoids that operate the vvt system are working correctly. so i checked timing using the cam/crank correlation test watching on a scope meter and comparing to a known good pattern. This is what shows me its off by at least a tooth.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Also strangely sounds like a cold start vacuum leak.

college mancollege man

The timing may be doing weird things due to the misfires. I would address those issues first.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…