Menu

2004 Kia sedona summer overheating

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 Kia sedona summer overheating

• Creator
    Topic
    James KaminskyJames Kaminsky
    Participant

Ok so I have a 2004 Kia Sedona which I love. Yes I know “love a mini van”, you mad bro!! But there is this persistent problem (Three Years Now) I can not seem to find a fix for. The Temp gauge tells me its overheating on warm days say above 80 deg. F below that all is good. I have put in a new thermostat, Radiator, fan motor(this was first as it was bad) and Water pump to no avail. It seems That it can keep its cool for maybe the first 15 minutes or so as long as it moving down the road at a good clip but as soon as I stop for a couple minutes that needle is headed north again. Usually at this point I would turn on the interior heater with the windows down to help keep it under control. Rear heater core has been blocked off. I really seems like it is unable to dump excess heat or is just running so hot the rad can not keep up. There are no coolant leaks and coolant looks good, Does not seem to be a head gasket as it surely would have failed completely by now, 40K miles like this, and no other tell tail signs of that. Below 80 or so degrees everything is great. Not sure what else could be causing this problem, was thinking about hooking rear heater core back up but I doubt that would help. Just out of ideas. Any thoughts???

Mini Van Lover!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

If you’ve made sure the fan is running, then I would hook up the rear heater core.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

First possiblity:

But there is this persistent problem (Three Years Now)
          Rear heater core has been blocked off.

Obvious question :
          Has the rear heater been disconnected for the same amount of time of your issue?.
          If so reconnect it.

Second possibility:
          Considering you state you’ve replaced MOST of the components in your cooling system ( you never mentioned the cap or hoses )
          I might suggest you try the cap if you haven’t replaced it already.
          Also check for a hose(s) collapsing causing a flow restriction.

Third possibility:
          You may have a partial coolant blockage inside the engine block.

Participant

Ok I can check/replace the cap and hoses easy enough but what could be done for blocked coolant passages in the engine? Also not sure if the problem started when rear heater was blocked off as it was one of the first things I did when I got the van, before I drove it on a hot day.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Could try a chemical flush.
              You can google ” How to clear a engine block coolant blockage “

Participant

Great thanks, Once I get some decent weather ill check that stuff out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…