Menu

Submersible fuel hose ?

• Creator
    Topic
    Albert PaulAlbert Paul
    Participant

Hi new to the forum and looking for some advise.
      I have a diy in-tank fuel pump replacement planned for the weekend on a 95 starlet ep82 4efe, the new fuel pump didn’t come with a new hose for the pump outlet so I’ve been trying to get a short piece of fuel hose just in case I need to replace the existing hose.
      The research I’ve done suggest using SAE30R10 submersible fuel hose but almost all the local (Barbados) parts stores are treating me like i’m crazy, only two stores have tried to help however one sold me SAE30R6 which internet searches suggest is not suitable for fuel injected vehicles and another sold me Starlite FBU0600 racing hose which they said would work in tank however I haven’t been able to find anything online supporting the claim that it is submersible.
      Any advise on these 2 hoses since its all I have ?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

SAE30R6:
        From the standard:

“Low-Pressure Coupled and Uncoupled Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover (SAE 30R6), (SAE 30R7), (SAE 30R8) Hose which may be supplied either coupled or uncoupled for use with gasoline, diesel fuel, lubrication oil, or the vapor present in either the fuel system or in the crankcase of internal combustion engines in mobile, stationary, and marine applications. Exposure of these hoses to gasoline or diesel fuel which contain high levels, greater than 5% by volume, of oxygenates, i.e., ethanol, methanol, or MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether), may result in significantly higher permeation rates than those listed for 30R6, 7, or 8. This hose is for maximum working pressures of 0.34 MPa (50 psi) up to and including 9.53 mm (3/8 in) ID and 0.24 MPa (35 psi) for over 9.53 mm (3/8 in). For 30R6 hose in excess of 25.40 mm (1 in), the working pressure is 0.11 MPa (16 psi). The hose may be furnished in long lengths, specific cut lengths, or as a part preformed to a specific configuration. This hose is suitable for use in temperatures up to 100 °C (212 °F) for 30R6, 125 °C (257 °F) for 30R7, 150 °C (302 °F) intermittently and 135 °C (275 °F) continuously for 30R8.”

So, the standard for 30R6, 30R7 and 30R8 hose says that the permeation rate may be significantly higher with ethanol extended gasoline in excess of 5%.

As to Starlite FBU0600:
        All information states it can be used as a fuel line.
        But there is no notation of it being rated submersible.
        [color=red] [i]Notes
        -6 AN. Fuel, lube, and coolant compatible. Nylon sheath. Will only work with full flow reusable hose ends or Starlite crimp style fittings.[/i]
        [/color]
        This ( above in RED )would tend to lead you to believe it is designed for external tank usage only.

Albert PaulAlbert Paul
        Participant

Thank you so much for replying nightflyr. I must say, you didn’t just give me some one line half thought answer, you obviously did some searching to provide me with meaningful info. I really appreciate that.
          After so much negative experiences trying to find a hose to work with, I decided to reach out to the shop that sold me the startlite hose to inquire if they sold me just what they felt like or did they really know their game and the reasoning behind selling me this hose for my application so I made a call to the parts store and asked a tech for a sensible explanation.

I have since found out unlike other layered hoses the Startlite FBU0600 racing hose inner tube is itself made of Aeroquip’s patented elastomer and will stand up to fuels inside and out, the Nylon sheath or what they referred to as (abrasion-resistant, fire-retardant Nomex/Kevlar®cover) also will not be an issue when I use regular worm gear type hose clamps on the pumps outlet or beaded fuel line. As was pointed out to me, the manufacturer also supplies aeroquip PRO clamps (Aluminum Hose Finishing Pro Clamps)

[color=red]Hose end finishing clamps (Pro Clamps) add cosmetic
          appeal and keep braided hose from fraying when used with
          push-on hose connections. Aluminum housing retains a
          stainless worm-drive clamp.[/color]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…