Menu

Transmission Problems

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Transmission Problems

• Creator
    Topic
    DougDoug
    Participant

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 automatic transmission.When i stop,put it in park,take my foot off the brake the car rolls forward or backwards, depending on the incline,. Can this be caused from dirty fluid and/or clogged filter? If not then what can cause this? it seems to be getting worse. Years ago i remember you could tighten the bands if tranny was slipping but do not know if they even have bands any more and it doesn’t seem to be slipping while driving but it will not engage sometimes if you put it in neutral and back to drive fairly quick especially if on a incline. Any help will be appreciated.I forgot to say i know most cars will roll or rock a little but mine is rolling quit a bit and it doesn’t take that much of an incline it even does it when parking in the garage. Once again any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AlexAlex
      Participant

As far as I’m aware, nearly all automatic transmissions use a separate mechanism to lock the output shaft when the gear selector is placed in the Park position. A pin engages with a toothed or slotted section on the shaft, locking it in place. Normally this is meant to be a supplementary means of holding the vehicle, with most of the holding power coming from the parking brake/handbrake.

Excessive stress can wear out the mechanism, such as parking on hills without using the parking brake. Extreme stress such as the vehicle being struck while parked or accidentally shifting into Park while moving can break the pin and/or the teeth it engages.

What may have happened on your car is that the mechanism got damaged or wore out from use. Every time you park, the vehicle rolls a bit, and all that energy must be absorbed by the mechanism when it does catch, causing further stress and wear. Eventually it may not catch reliably at all.
        Applying the parking brake and letting the car settle by releasing the brake pedal before putting the transmission into park may prolong its life, but you should probably look into getting it repaired.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…