Just for the Ladies!

More
5 years 8 months ago #91401 by Inverlass
Replied by Inverlass on topic Just for the Ladies!
I retired from medicine, looking to do something else. I was fed up paying for Mercedes service charges. So I thought why not Sports car restoration and quick fix jobs on cars such as services. My father worked most of his life a foreman in a large garage for Ford. He would take me down to the garage to help out. so you could say that my shop experience has it's roots in this. My dad was what he termed a mechanic and not a fitter. This is as he explained it because he made parts from scratch. Being that I would help him and started to make parts myself under his instruction. I have found that many men cannot cope with being told how to do something by a female. As for being asked out, hey don't gay guys work in shops too?
Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #100509 by TheCarBitch
Replied by TheCarBitch on topic Just for the Ladies!
I served for three years in the army as a Track Vehicle Repairer, where I learned most of what I know about diesel engine repair. Now I currently work as a sears tech, which I just started a few weeks ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lar1969

• gsr-chick
  • 2nd Gear
  • 2nd Gear
  • Where's my dirty girls at out there?
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #100794 by gsr-chick
Replied by gsr-chick on topic Just for the Ladies!
Hi Ladies;

I grew up with a backyard Mechanic Father and one brother who now has 20 plus years into being a technician. I was the only girl and the youngest child.

I moved to the west coast not too long ago and left so much behind, including "the family toolbox." (meaning I had all the tools, jacks, help from family, and literally the space to tackle just about anything if I wanted too.)

Now I have a small parking spot, a small (but growing) tool kit (I have everything all organized in shoe boxes LOL ;) and honestly, like everyone else here I suppose, not a lot of disposable income.

Since I am a city girl now, I have to pick away at jobs that I can do, and have to rule out the ones I can't. Last week I did plugs, cap and rotor on my Acura Integra and ended up with rusted rotor, a bruised forearm getting it off, and glass of wine to celebrate a job well done. Car purrs like a kitty now. My favorite thing I have to say though is detailing (wash, wax and shampooing) my car. I love shiny things. :P

If it comes to suspension work or things that need air tools I am sunk though and have to go to a shop. And being a girl at a garage can be so frustrating, even if you do know a thing or 2.

For example, that Acura had a dis-functional drivers door lock. I had it at the dealer for other services and they blamed the wiring/ after market alarm (and took $200 from me to tell me that), I took the car to alarm installer, who put a brand new one in (for $300) and the door still acted up. So now $500 later, problem was STILL THERE! :angry:

So 2 weeks ago in my frustration I fixed it myself for $60 (and 8 hours work mind you). I went to a "pick and pull" where you can pick parts out of junk cars (and get all the experience of taking something apart first before touching your own car...that knowledge is priceless ;) ) and simply swapped the door actuator. ZERO problems now, problem is fixed!! Its stories like this that keep me going with more repairs and a DIY attitude.

Well it's oil change day for the Acura and I am going to rotate the tires while I am at it. I've been eyeing an 80's full sized pickup on craigslist for a few days and it may be my next project coming soon. I'll take the summer to work on it and make it humm. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to call her though. :) She will be my winter Daily driver.

Oh and one more thing, I should say that I did work at a detail shop for a bit before I went to college. I was not into paint repairs (I did a little bit of buffing work). but shampooing and getting stains and hair out were one of selling skills. So did your toddler make your car a mess? Did that puppy bite off what he shouldn't chew? Someone smoking burn a hole in the carpet? Wanna make your car smell like your favorite soap? I can help with that stuff and show you how to do it CHEAP! In fact most of the tools of the trade you probably already have sitting in your house right now!

Hit me up with your dirty stories ;)

Anyho, Peace out ladies and as Eric says, Stay Dirty! ;)

Fleet = 5 - 1996 Acura GSR; 1970 Chev C10 pickup; 1983 (parts car now) and 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 1992 Oldsmobile 98 road sofa
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by gsr-chick.

More
5 years 5 months ago #100896 by Schatzie
Replied by Schatzie on topic Just for the Ladies!
Hi! I'm a single mom, too, and underemployed. My Honda has 275,000 miles on it. I paid $500 for it, so it seems crazy to shell out tons of cash to some jerk who treats me like I'm retarded because I have a vagina. I've fixed a ton of stuff on my little beater since the snow melted this year. It's so empowering and thrilling to be able to make my car work for a fraction of the cost of taking it to a shop. I've found a lot of support on this website, both from Eric's videos and from people who respond to my posts. It's such a cool resource!

More
5 years 2 months ago #112092 by Spannerbird
Replied by Spannerbird on topic Just for the Ladies!
I almost envy the newer cars owners in ways as their cars usually don't have loads of rust to work around. I've been working on my Studebaker off and on for a while now, and usually have to stop for a bit in order to save to purchase something needed for it.

This car is very simple, but has a lot of things on it which aren't standard. I have to do a bit of research at times just to remove things, and then realise that the part is no longer made, or costs substantially more than a similar part for a newer car.

Arielle
spannerbird.com
facebook.com/spanner.bird

More
5 years 2 months ago #112247 by AutoCareCareerHub
Replied by AutoCareCareerHub on topic Just for the Ladies!
Hey Ladies!

I'm Libby and I work in the industry. Just wanted to let anyone looking for a job about AutoCareCareerHub.com. It's like a Monster or CareerBuilder but just for automotive jobs. Plus it has career resources..pretty awesome if you're in a rut.

Also, check out Fanelle. It's a site dedicated to women in trades in Australia. Sure it's a different country but has great info applicable anywhere.

• Sela
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
  • Looooong time tech/Engnr.
More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #151605 by Sela
Replied by Sela on topic Just for the Ladies!
Were do I start ? Okies..my dad had Sun Valley Chrystler Plymouth dealership in Phoenix and I ended up being a garage rat. Dirt bikes, dune buggies, drags on the weekends.

Once he saw I was serious he sent me to schools in Detroit mostly for engine blue printing, chassis design, fuel systems, electrical and to be honest, I ate it up with a spoon. Finished up with machine shop , cnc class 4, and welding.

Wake up Sela, time to go to work ! Real world, not enough time to "Get it perfect". Customers waiting, stripped threads and heli coil nightmares haunting my dreams at night.........people "Borrowing" my tools, tools left in cars, smelling like a shop when you get home, back hurting from hanging over a fender all week, hot exhaust burns. I had police friends bitching because they had to buy their own service weapons and uniforms and I'm like...HELLO........I still owe the Snap-on guy $5000 and that's just the beginning !

I'm long out of the shop now and went back for my engineering deg. Worked on guidance systems and military tech but still love doing my car thing and have a small shop.

I never had a really bad time being a girl type person doing shop work but it was not always easy either. I love seeing so many more of us doing auto work and also I know several girls doing Semi Diesel shop work.

I could spend the next year telling shop stories but ladies, get out there make your own stories. Sela.........
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Sela. Reason: Snarky remark: My photo is perfectly sharp you've just drank too much cough syrup !

More
3 years 9 months ago #160253 by RobinDean
Replied by RobinDean on topic Just for the Ladies!
I just want to say how PROUD I am of each one of you. Gonads have little to do with talents and interests. I think it's great that you're taking things literally into your own hands and making things happen for yourselves.

I think it's so interesting how many of us had Dads who were supportive of our interests in this area. My dad always said, "If it's broke, you may as well try to fix it because you probably will". That attitude has helped me save several hundred thousand dollars over the course of my life - fixing everything from appliances to cars to small engines to garage doors to carpentry/electrical/plumbing to furniture to...... You get the picture. THANKS POPS!!

Then there are guys like EricTheCarGuy, ChrisFix, Donyboy73..... They make astonishingly informative and clear videos. They act as mentors to us all. I'm really thankful for their work, for making this information so accessible, for being such great teachers! Anyone can read a manual, but seeing it done can make all the difference. THANKS GREAT VIDEO MAKIN' GUYS!

Mostly, I just want to say thanks to you young women who realize you can do alot to ensure your own independence. I want to say thanks to you for carrying on the idea that gender has nothing to do with abilities. Thanks for being you!

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds