Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • discontinued cooling fan control wiring-opinion?

discontinued cooling fan control wiring-opinion?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Girls in the Garage discontinued cooling fan control wiring-opinion?

• Creator
    Topic
    colleencolleen
    Participant

96 accord 4cyl vtec. hoping for an opinion on which direction to go in regarding my fried ac/condenser fan relays where I have to replace not only the relays themselves, but also the male connector wiring that the relays attach to. I am referring the 2 relays that are mounted to the side of my radiator, not the fuse box relay.

here’s a link to the hondapartsnow site showing the relays (#11) and what I believe is the male fitting wiring harness (#16) which is a discontinued part.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=47&productID=5&yearID=14&doorID=4&gradeID=8&areaID=4&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=8308 1477379

I could either:
      a.) salvage yard the wiring harness
      b.) try this aftermarket autozone cooling fan control

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Cooling-Fan-Control/1996-Honda-Accord/_/N-j5krqZ9pd8y?itemIdentifier=267187_69565_0_

I am hesitant to go the autozone route, unless it seems viable to a more experienced person here. so assuming I’m going to go the salvage yard route, i tried to locate the wiring harness end where it tucks just above my wheel well. in the process i stripped out one of the plastic screws mounting the plastic wheel well guard on. any advice would be great, and if you are able to respond, could you tell me how you would tackle the wheel well fittings? i figured just clip them off and get some more plastic fittings, but maybe it could be a regular nut/bolt combination….thanks in advance

EDIT
      I may be jumping the gun on this. I ASSUMED that I would have to replace the entire connector based on there being a creamy substance in the connectors. this may be a dielectric grease that is intended to be there. I will update this post when I assess what my actual problem was with the cooling fans not engaging, which is why I was looking at the relays. but I doubt this will rock anybody’s world. peace 🙂

EDIT#2 indeed I jumped the gun. my relays with the goo inside work. I confirmed this by jumping the switch on the thermostat housing with a paperclip. I lucked out with the cheap fix on this one – the switch is $40. the relays would have been $70.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…