Getting Little Girls in the Shop?

• HarryOfAllTrades
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
5 years 2 months ago #114750 by HarryOfAllTrades
Getting Little Girls in the Shop? was created by HarryOfAllTrades
Does anyone have any interesting experiences with exposing young daughters/grand-daughters to technical fields like auto repair?

Last week my daughter helped me for the first time with a repair. I put together a video of the experience. The video captured some good moments. My daughter is really into princesses, dresses, shoe, and other girly things, but she seems to have an interest in helping me. I'd like to foster her interest in technical things, but I don't want to overdo it to the point where she lose all interest. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
5 years 2 months ago #114757 by jshoup
Replied by jshoup on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
How old is your daughter? If she has started to drive, or is about to, then get her an older vehicle that is safe but subject to the need for pariodic maintenance. Plenty of built in incentive to get her hands dirty.

• HarryOfAllTrades
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
5 years 2 months ago #114758 by HarryOfAllTrades
Replied by HarryOfAllTrades on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
She's 3. In the video she has a hard enough time just using the tools.

More
5 years 2 months ago #114760 by jshoup
Replied by jshoup on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
Well then, since she's almost ready to drive there's no time like the present to get her started on the little things like brake jobs and tire rotations.

• lar1969
  • Ford Flate-Rate Tech
More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #119496 by lar1969
Replied by lar1969 on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
This is AWESOME.

I can totally relate to this because while I was growing up, my dad let me be with him in the garage when he was repairing our cars. I believe that was his first step for exposing me to the automotive world. This continued when I bought my first car, a 1978 Chevy Camaro. My dad taught me the basics (oil changes, tune-up, ignition timing, wiring diagrams). Although it took many decades to return to my roots, so to speak, I am now studying Automotive Technology at a local community college...and loving it.

Kudos to all men sharing their automotive interests with their daughters!

Daily Driver 97 Saturn SC2, DOHC,I4-LL0, 1.9L, 4 cyl., MFI, 5 speed, red, 228K mi
Fav Car Owned-78 Chevy Camaro, 305 V8, auto, black, 205K mi
Departed-01 Saturn SC2, 3 door, DOHC, auto, white, 235K mi, brkn time chain
02 Saturn LW 300, auto, silver,135K mi
00 Honda Civic VP, auto, silver,217K mi
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by lar1969. Reason: remove extra word

Advertisement
  • 13aceofspades13
  • if it ain't broken, fix it anyhow.
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #119837 by 13aceofspades13
Replied by 13aceofspades13 on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
start em off right, though I am not a lady when I was her age my grandpa handed me a wrench and told me have fun tearing a part a busted old ford inline 4 engine. start them off young so they can get the feel for the wrench and buy the time they become of age she will be showing guys how to fix a car! :)

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #119840 by Commodore665
Replied by Commodore665 on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
Yep both of my daughters , when they were young , both asked countless questions while they watched me work cars and when old enough liked to help out , it was kind of cool to see them do an oil change without help and both have a good basic knowledge of cars and maintenance , and both do basic maintenance on their car. They each are very much girly girls too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back road trucker
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Commodore665.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #119902 by MDK22
Replied by MDK22 on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
I am not a lady but, when I was around that age my dad started teaching me what different tools names were. That way he could have me play fetch and he told me always put it in my hand or where i tell you never leave it on the ground. He also taught me to remember where I got it from. He made a game out of it at first but, then he actually started using me to fetch tools and it went from there.

Big Rig Technician. Well versed in HVAC, Electrical, and Computers. UTI - Auto/Diesel/Industrial Tech Graduate A+ Avg. International - ITEP Grad. Licenses: EPA 608 I+II+III, EPA 609, PA State Inspection License, PA State Emissions Inspector(Expired), Class A CDL T/N Endorsement
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by MDK22.

More
4 years 8 months ago #132260 by nickwarner
Replied by nickwarner on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
My kids always got exposed to the garage since when they are with me thats where I usually was. Being your girl is 3, getting her to not be afraid of noisy tools might be an issue. If you can find a set of earmuffs small enough to fit her she might be willing to use an impact or air ratchet while you hold it. Make it fun for her. Think of your garage through the eyes of a child. So many things that move and make noise, just like the toys they like that annoy everyone around them.

My girlfriend has a 10 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. Tried to get the boy interested in the garage, he just wants to play video games. The girl loves to follow me around and try to help and she is all about the girly things too. I keep an extra torch shield and welding hood in the shop so she can watch, and now she is old enough I might get a small welding jacket and chop the sleeves down to her size. She loves watching welding so she wants to do it now.

Make it fun for her. Its like taking a kid fishing, don't expect to be doing any serious fishing for yourself. You are making it all about them. If you just need to bust the work out do it without her. If you are just trying to bang it out she is just going to sit there watching and get very bored.

Right now at her age she is just hanging out touching things. She is hanging out with you and it is fun for her. She is exploring something new. If you can keep her encounters at this age fun, she will have more interest as she gets older and you can start letting her get hands on with some tools. Take some nice pics of her out there with you. When she is grown and you are gone, she will always look back at those pictures with fond memories and its a great way to bond and communicate with a daughter. Both of my daughters and my girl's daughter will hopefully look back at me like that. Keep up the good work with the little one.

More
4 years 8 months ago #132261 by andrewbutton442
Replied by andrewbutton442 on topic Getting Little Girls in the Shop?
You know, as far as getting little girls in the shop, I think Chip Foose has really broken the glass ceiling with that. Not that her builds are tasteful, but as least she has proven that the shop is not just a mans world anymore, anybody can do it.

"A true Hot Rodder would only be satisfied when the act of dropping the hammer resulted in instant death, anything short of that and you need more power" - Tony DeFeo,

Advertisement
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds