Do I need new panels?

• Mrsniverto5
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
4 years 6 months ago #138545 by Mrsniverto5
Do I need new panels? was created by Mrsniverto5
Help I think I messed up my panel doors to my dodge caravan. So after about a year of having a used van with non functioning sliding doors, my husband being away I decided to fix it myself. I ordered new motors and new harnesses, successfully put them in but I am not sure if I broke the panels. They don't seem to want to fit in right anymore. Also the dvd player is now going crazy when starting the van. It' also has never worked.

I did learn a costly lesson in all of this Lol check the fuses first. I'm not sure if my motors were bad but whatever. I don't feel as stupid because the previous owner and my husband never fixed it via fuses. I am determined to learn to fix my own vehicles from now on if I can, as a single mother of five I can't afford not too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • lar1969
  • Ford Flate-Rate Tech
More
4 years 6 months ago #138550 by lar1969
Replied by lar1969 on topic Do I need new panels?

Mrsniverto5 wrote: Help I think I messed up my panel doors to my dodge caravan. So after about a year of having a used van with non functioning sliding doors, my husband being away I decided to fix it myself. I ordered new motors and new harnesses, successfully put them in but I am not sure if I broke the panels. They don't seem to want to fit in right anymore. Also the dvd player is now going crazy when starting the van. It' also has never worked.

I did learn a costly lesson in all of this Lol check the fuses first. I'm not sure if my motors were bad but whatever. I don't feel as stupid because the previous owner and my husband never fixed it via fuses. I am determined to learn to fix my own vehicles from now on if I can, as a single mother of five I can't afford not too.

What I would suggest is to remove the panel and start again. Make a mental note of the "geography," if you will, of where wires/clips/ raised areas and such might get pinched/interfere with reinsertion of the panel. Patience is vital as you may find yourself needing to start over a couple times (like I did). I remember the sound that my 2000 Honda Civic driver door panel made when I removed it in April to diagnose a malfunctioning door lock actuator. It sounded like I broke it, but I didn't. It was just the sound of the plastic clips releasing.

Keep me posted and welcome to the forum. B)

Daily Driver 97 Saturn SC2, DOHC,I4-LL0, 1.9L, 4 cyl., MFI, 5 speed, red, 228K mi
Fav Car Owned-78 Chevy Camaro, 305 V8, auto, black, 205K mi
Departed-01 Saturn SC2, 3 door, DOHC, auto, white, 235K mi, brkn time chain
02 Saturn LW 300, auto, silver,135K mi
00 Honda Civic VP, auto, silver,217K mi

More
4 years 5 months ago #138753 by no_common_sense
Replied by no_common_sense on topic Do I need new panels?
You probably broke a lot of these retainers & pins or they're not aligned to each other. The alignment of pins to retainers can be a little fickle at times, but not impossible. Breaking those pins is just par for the course. They're really prone to breaking no matter how much practice you'll ever get removing those door panels. Pull those panels back off and pull one of those plastic pins out for reference. You should easily be able to get replacement pins at your favorite parts store that carries the Dorman HELP parts.
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #138756 by MDK22
Replied by MDK22 on topic Do I need new panels?
Also make sure it is sliding all the way down against the glass. They like to hang up right before its fully seated normally its the two upper clips/plastic retainers.

Big Rig Technician. Well versed in HVAC, Electrical, and Computers. UTI - Auto/Diesel/Industrial Tech Graduate A+ Avg. International - ITEP Grad. Licenses: EPA 608 I+II+III, EPA 609, PA State Inspection License, PA State Emissions Inspector(Expired), Class A CDL T/N Endorsement

More
4 years 5 months ago #138798 by 2leadfeet
Replied by 2leadfeet on topic Do I need new panels?
I'd start with a repair manual. If this is your first repair, reading about how to do it step by step woukd be the way to go

Do or Do Not. There is no TRY! - Yoda

Advertisement
  • lar1969
  • Ford Flate-Rate Tech
More
4 years 4 months ago #143721 by lar1969
Replied by lar1969 on topic Do I need new panels?
Hopefully, the original "poster" has been successful with this repair. :)

Daily Driver 97 Saturn SC2, DOHC,I4-LL0, 1.9L, 4 cyl., MFI, 5 speed, red, 228K mi
Fav Car Owned-78 Chevy Camaro, 305 V8, auto, black, 205K mi
Departed-01 Saturn SC2, 3 door, DOHC, auto, white, 235K mi, brkn time chain
02 Saturn LW 300, auto, silver,135K mi
00 Honda Civic VP, auto, silver,217K mi

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds