Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Food for Thought: Why are we surprized?

Food for Thought: Why are we surprized?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Girls in the Garage Food for Thought: Why are we surprized?

• Creator
    Topic
    Lee AnnLee Ann

Brief Background: I was raised, in my youth, by my gear headed dad. In January 2014, I began fixing my own vehicles/studying as a DIYer.

Much of the DIY work that I have done on my personal vehicles has been documented on this forum. And although I was instilled with a love for mechanical things by my father, I attribute my recent and current success, in part, to all I have learned from Eric’s You Tube videos and this forum (thanks College Man). My favorite repairs and diagnoses have been related to engine mechanical and performance issues . I have learned, performed, drawn conclusions and made repairs from the diagnostic tests learned here previously. But again, all on my personal vehicles. Although I don’t have shop experience yet, wouldn’t my DIY experience count for something? Would it count if I were a young male (just saying)?

I entered automotive school wondering what attitudes I would encounter and which group (older or younger males) would be most open minded to seeing females in their classes and entering the repair field. However, I have found a mixture of ages who are accepting and even welcoming. Thanks to those of you who are sincerely open minded and supportive. When you choose this mindset, you are truly making a difference in the community.

I have recently been named as Team Lead in my Automotive Brakes Class at school which I am very proud of (4.0 cumulative-GPA-community-minded- student). There is a lot of responsibility that a leader accepts, even if it is only in a school setting…who is to say that it won’t continue into the work setting? All I want to do is my absolute best work while sharing my passion for all things automotive and serving my community.

A question for all you current fathers (and aspiring dads) of daughters:
      Is it enough for you to support your daughter’s appreciation of fine cars? Would you support your daughters if they told you they wanted to choose Automotive Technology for their careers? How would you advise your daughters in this career choice (for or against) and why?

Pics were taken of my group during Manual Trans Class.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Mike BlockMike Block
      Participant

[quote=”lar1969″ post=140614]
        I have recently been named as Team Lead in my Automotive Brakes Class at school which I am very proud of (4.0 cumulative-GPA-community-minded- student). There is a lot of responsibility that a leader accepts, even if it is only in a school setting…who is to say that it won’t continue into the work setting? [/quote]

Oh It’ll carry over all right. And all without any jostling or being in a hurry to prove anything. If it’s there to begin with it won’t go anywhere. It’ll always be recognized, but the most sincere form of actual acknowledgement for it will be seen in the influence it has on those around you. I’m convinced that people appreciate someone who can occasionally yet consistently take the lead and I think overall it creates a better atmosphere. But I just don’t like it so much when certain people are not influenced to do better themselves but instead regard a responsible team oriented co-worker with a “well they’ll just do it” attitude. I still haven’t figured out how to deal with that one.
        The second most sincere form of acknowledgement will seen be in the form of steady job promot… no I’m just kidding about that second one.

Hey there good to hear that you’re doing well in school and enjoying it. The workforce needs more people like you.

Lee AnnLee Ann

[quote=”Michael Block” post=141568][quote=”lar1969″ post=140614]
          I have recently been named as Team Lead in my Automotive Brakes Class at school which I am very proud of (4.0 cumulative-GPA-community-minded- student). There is a lot of responsibility that a leader accepts, even if it is only in a school setting…who is to say that it won’t continue into the work setting? [/quote]

And all without any jostling or being in a hurry to prove anything.
          [/quote]

I tend to feel that I will always have to prove myself but then again, I am not sure. Maybe you guys can offer some input in this regard.

Lee AnnLee Ann

More pics from my Manual Trans class. These are of disassembly/assembly of the FWD transmission. We took several measurements for synchro blocker ring clearances

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…